Operation Smile at the University of Montana (UM) was founded in August 2012 and recognized by the Associated Students of University of Montana (ASUM) in academic year 2013-2014. The group is an active philanthropic student organization committed to supporting surgical repair of cleft lip and palate for children living in underprivileged areas. The mission of UM's chapter of Operation Smile is to create awareness and to fundraise in support of surgeries performed by medical volunteers to the international parent organization, Operation Smile, through their Medical Volunteers Action Center (MVAC).
Kendall Alley, President
Maira Ambris, Vice President
Bridget Brannan, Treasurer
Kelcie Cassidy, Secretary
- Sheila Murphy, Community Service Representative
Students in Communication and Hearing Working in Action (SCHWA-MT) is an ASUM-recognized student organization dedicated to engaging in philanthropic work on the University of Montana campus and in the Missoula community. SCHWA-MT is the local chapter of the National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
- Christina Carkeek, President
- Morgan Williams, Vice President
- Maya Anger, Secretary
- Jackie Cassidy, Treasurer
- Lyndsay Hutton, Historian
- Hannah Carlson, On-Line Liaison
Our mission is to:
- facilitate peer and faculty interactions;
- present opportunities for community involvement through volunteering and fundraising;
- provide resources for academic achievement; and
- offer professional development in the form of conferences, advocacy, and workshops
Members have the option of participating in different committees including volunteer, fundraising, social, advocacy, pre-service professional, advising, and advocacy. SCHWA-MT dedicates hundreds of hours each semester to create diverse learning and career opportunities for our members and professionals of tomorrow.
Learn more about us on our SCHWA Facebook page.
The Department of Communicative Sciences & Disorders is a proud member of the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA). In 2016, the UM chapter of NSSLHA was presented with the NSSLHA Gold Chapter Honors award for our commitment to our community, legislative advocacy, and fundraising activities!